Are royalties subject to taxes (US)?

Whether you are in the USA and/or abroad, you are responsible for reporting the royalties you receive from the sale or streaming of your music. This isn’t a Verse One rule or policy but a government-enforced policy for all territories of the world.

Our system logs every payment and sale you make and thus we send you payments but from there, it is up to you to report.

From a USA / Domestic standpoint: We send out 1099’s and other documentation on a yearly basis and at the appropriate time for you to report. We additionally report information in regards to your royalties to the IRS thus it’s in your best interest that if we pay, you report. We suggest you immediately report whatever income we send you on a 1099-MISC to avoid tax issues.

Was it helpful?

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars

Related to this topic

The requirements to complete these forms are imposed by the U.S. government, and U.S. taxing authorities. Every distribution company doing business in the USA and/or abroad has to abide by tax rules and regulations.

Read more

An employer identification number (EIN) is a nine-digit number assigned by the IRS. It is used to identify the tax accounts of employers and certain others who have no employees. The IRS uses the number to identify taxpayers who are required to file various business tax returns.   An EIN can be obtained by a […]

Read more

Applying only to USA based clients: When a business pays an independent contractor $600 or more over the course of a tax year, it is required to report these payments to the IRS on an information return called form 1099-MISC. Businesses use the name, address and Social Security or tax identification number from form W-9 […]

Read more

The requirements to complete these forms are imposed by the U.S. government, and U.S. taxing authorities. Since we must report all payments made, this information must be provided.

Read more

Yes, if you are US based, we are required to have a W-9 on file.. By submitting a W-9, you are certifying that you and/or your label is a U.S. person or U.S. Company, that the taxpayer identification number (TIN) you are providing is correct and accurate and that you are not subject to backup […]

Read more

Do you still have any questions?

Contact Us